- decreased emphasis on conceptual understanding;
- elimination of the use of calculators in grades K-7;
- elimination of representing mathematical concepts through the use of concrete models;
- deletion of topics;
- weakening of the process standards; and
- arbitrary changes of grade level.
It is beyond depressing to see that our very own Daniel Ilaria has endorsed Rosenstein’s campaign (Deby Ives and Nancy Schulz are also endorsers, but no surprise there). In addition to math educators, Rosenstein’s coalition seems comprised of math administrators and no real mathematicians. Rutgers and Montclair affiliations abound, as do fee-for-service math consultants such as Ms. Schulz. Some 800 mathematicians have been contacted to provide feedback directly to the DOE . How is it that Rosenstein is the only one to raise a fit over the new standards draft? Parents are finally getting the ear of Trenton. It is truly disgusting to see professor Rosenstein and Daniel Ilaria work so hard against them. The link to Rosenstein’s site is below.