I have fond memories of Gaydon growing up, it was the place my grandfather took me to learn to swim before i could even read or write .As a teen it used to be a fun place to hang around in the summer cool off and watch the girls.
So this is what I think and this is what I think should be done.
1) If there really is all this interest, as thy say money talks so lets sell pre-paid memberships 1,2 and 3 years out maybe 5 with volume and time being rewarded with a bit of a discount. This would make long term financing easier and allow us to have a more sensible feel for our budget.
2) I hate to say it but NO FREEBIES to anyone, sorry seniors .Once it starts everyone is always entitled to everything except paying for it.
3) On that note I would agree to a discount for seniors ,a discount for town workers and volunteers and of coarse family discounts.
4) Non Ridgewood resident members should pay more no exemptions, sorry teachers.
These are some of my fears:
1) The Villages inability to budget and forecast as well as manage large projects.
2) Increased traffic on Linwood.
3) Another white elephant.
4) Increase Village expenses, such as traffic control, crime and emergencies services.
5) What about flooding?
6) Graydon is only a few blocks from Valley Hospital and the Village needs to face the fact that a successful upgrade will lead to a significant increase in traffic.
Even though a pool upgrade is long over due it seems to us that a $14 million dollar price tag is a little steep. I would hope that some of the more “Action Park” like elements could be toned down to a more tasteful style better fitting the image of this community. Flooding and traffic concerns must also be addressed. I think that over the years Graydon has been a great resource for Ridgewood and I would like to see it once again regain that status.
Editor and Chief
the Ridgewood Blog