We have received many emails on the traffic situation in down town Ridgewood in the last several months and we wanted to share with our readers some thoughts.
1) Most readers thought that even though pedestrians have the right of way they should still look both ways and take into account basic traffic precautions .Lets face it no one would tell their kids to go play in traffic and we think rules of courtesy and common sense should be observed at all times.
2) Drivers should be aware that many of the stop streets in Ridgewood are set back from the cross streets and it is important for drivers to take time and inch out carefully into traffic because it can be very difficult too see both on coming traffic and pedestrians .
3) Many readers found the amount of pedestrian and vehicle accidents to be astonishing and evidence in itself that neither drivers or walkers are paying enough attention.
4) Stop signs mean STOP then proceed.
5) Swinging out wide in the opposite direction from the turn you are making is both bad driving and dangerous.
4) Drivers slow down and don’t tailgate, leave at least a car or two lengths between you and the person in front of you and always anticipate.
5) The Right of way does not alleviate you from paying attention or common courtesy.